Monday, August 15, 2011

Hillsong

Okay, so it has taken nearly 4 years but since Hillsong is just a couple of suburbs away I thought I'd go and check out an evening service.

It was the 7pm 'Sunday Night Live' service.

Here are my initial impressions. I'm still in shock (from sensory overload) and so this is not supposed to be a carefully considered review but merely a collection of random thoughts and impressions:

  • the professional production of the service was AMAZING - Lady Gaga and U2 would be chuffed if they could produce a show this good.
  • there wasn't a hint of the prosperity gospel.
  • it wasn't very pentecostal - e.g. no speaking in tongues.
  • it seems (from the last two points) they have worked hard on removing things that would seem alien to your average Sydneysider.
  • they weren't ashamed to ask for money though - the offering was preceded by a reading from Deuteronomy and the (very helpful) explanation that if we develop the habit of surrendering our finances to the Lordship of Christ then this will help us surrender in other areas too.
  • did I say that it was all very well done? Sometimes churches are said to be like a concert, this wasn't like a concert - it was a performance. Dark lighting for the audience, smoke machines, flashing lights, live video feed of the band (song words were tiny - right at the bottom of the screen). I've been to loads of gigs and plays. As I say this was not like a performance, it was one. To be fair to Hillsong I think that is the intention. Sunday Night Live is meant to be an evangelistic shop window which is easily accessible to the modern consumer.
  • The talk took multimedia to a whole new level. The theme was 'going in and going out' and the stage had props consisting of doors - the preacher would speak for a while and then walk through a door only to appear (seemlessly) in a video clip on the screen. These clips seemed to have been filmed (at great expense) during the week just for the service. When I say great expense I mean it. The last clip was of the speaker doing a parachute jump and speaking into the camera as he did it. My guess is that this one service was 'worth' at least $10k of production.
  • The speaker was also very polished. He hardly had any notes and yet quoted scriptures throughout. The talk was peppered with bible verses. It was very inspirational. Although I have to say that it was very lacking in content. At no point throughout the talk or the service (apart from giving our tithe, I suppose) was any specific example given to explain what things like repentance or 'letting God into our transitions' might look like. I realise that everyone's life is different and we mustn't do the Holy Spirit's job for him but it is easy to go away from a service like that fired up about obedience in life without having a clue what it will mean. Likewise I noticed a lot of the songs were about wholehearted obedience - great words but I cringe when making promises with my lips that I have no idea if I can keep.
  • At the end there was a time for response. After a general response to the talk there was an evangelistic appeal. Generally speaking I thought it was great. He explained the gospel simply and then expected people to respond. That was when it started to get manipulative. After asking us all to close our eyes we were asked to raise our hands if we want to trust in Christ. After a while (with the traditional keyboard key in the background) he pushed a bit harder and then started saying 'thanks' for all those who had raised their hands but I couldn't see any! (I was very disobedient and kept my eyes open.) It is possible there were a couple behind me but I could see about 3/4 of the congregation and I couldn't see any. While understandable (people are more likely to stick up their hand if they think they are not alone) it is highly manipulative.
So, overall, a mixture of emotions. Not quite what I expected. I'm still reflecting on it. The dominant issue is the level of the production. I can't quite work out if they are being 'all things to all men to win some...' in great evangelistic zeal to reach Sydney for Christ - or being like the Corinthians in losing their trust in the gospel as the power of God to change lives.

4 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

You must have splinters in your backside...

John Smuts said...

Ha, ha.

I knew that the last sentence was too even handed but it was late and I was too tired to go back and rewrite it.

gregt said...

Really curious to know how you were welcomed - did anyone notice you were new? Was there anyway of working out who were regulars and who were 1st timers/seekers?

Was the running of the service pretty tight, starting promptly and going to script (sounds like it was!)

Thanks!
cathy

John Smuts said...

@ Cathy

The whole experience taught me what non church goers must feel when they come to church for the first time: I found it hard to get in. I avoided the main entrance because all the 5pm service people were trying to get in so tried a side entrance. There a big bouncer told me clearly that I couldn't go in that way because the 5pm people were leaving.

There was a point in the service where we asked to say G'Day to one another. I introduced myself to the guy next to me and he said his name and then very deliberately turned back to talk to his wife. No one else spoke to me. Mind you it was so dark in the auditorium (like a rock concert) that it seemed to encourage anonymity.

The whole service was very tight. As we waited for the beginning the screens showed a video of bible verses and photos mixed with music - this very definitely started to increase in pace and energy until the climax was the band launching into a song. Every step was very choreographed.

So much so that at times I really knew what a non Christian must feel like. I was a spectator, feeling detached and wondering if I shared any of this experience. I didn't go expecting to feel detached, it just happened at various parts of the night.