Thursday, August 28, 2008

Driscmania

Well it happened. Mark Driscoll packed out the Sydney Entertainment Centre last night. It was great - 10,000 people hearing about Jesus.

Now, before I make any comment, for the record I need to state that I left home when I was 18, I got a job straight after Uni., and I got married at 27.

As a Preacher I always reflect upon what is it (humanly speaking - I'm not talking about the work of the Spirit here) that makes a speaker really good. Here are a few reflections on the great MD:


* He is very entertaining. I've watched several stand-up comics and he was in the same league - Ricky Gervais does a similar routine where pictures are flashed up on the screen to move the show along. This is not a criticism of Mark. It is a comment on our culture. In order to win an audience you have to be engaging.

* He engages with popular culture. Boy had he done his homework. I've lived in Australia for about 9 months now but he packed all that research into just one month! This communicates powerfully that the speaker knows about my life and his message connects with the real world I live in.

* He is simple and clear about the implications of the gospel. The jokes may sweeten the pill, but it is a bitter one of commitment and self-sacrifice.

* He is honest and self-effacing. It is very hard to present an uncompromising message without coming across as self-righteous. However, Mark was honest about his own failings and able to laugh at himself. That is very disarming.

* He quoted most of his Scripture references from memory. Like the Psalmist he has hidden God's Word in his heart.

* His message is all about Jesus. Not about religion, or lots of how tos. Just Jesus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is my first attempt at leaving a comment. How exciting!

What I've appreciated very much is Mark Driscoll's willingness just to say it how it is. He doesn't try and "dress up" the truth to make it more palatable...his confidence is in Jesus and His gospel.

A good model for us all in sharing with our non-christian family, friends etc I think!